A very long day, our weekend guests had just left and I really didn’t feel like turning around and making supper. Where’s my glass of wine and foot stool? I’ll just sit here while someone cooks.
No, don’t get up, I take care of it (me walking toward the kitchen).
This will have to be a ‘shop my pantry’ meal. I found one head of broccoli in the refrigerator wanting some attention. There was also a can of artichoke hearts that I was saving for making dip (my go to recipe here) or an impromptu pizza (one of my faves here) and a lonely can of white kidney beans hiding in my cupboard, great to have on hand when you need to extend a pot of chili (my easy recipe here). My little galley usually, mostly always, definitely maybe, has a good supply of garlic and olive oil. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a sprinkling of parsley and grated parmesan and my (mostly) plant-based supper was born. For some added protein try topping with a poached egg.
One pan, one serving spoon, two dinner plates, knives and forks, delicious supper…. now where’s my glass of wine and foot stool?
Garlicy White Bean, Artichoke and Broccoli
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- 4 Garlic cloves Sliced
- Dried chili flakes
- 4 Cups Broccoli florets
- 15 oz Canned Artichoke hearts Drained and quartered
- 15 oz Canned White beans Drained
- Salt and pepper To taste
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced
- 1/4 Cup Grated parmesan
- 1/4 Cup Chopped parsley
- 2 Eggs (optional) Poached
- Heat oil in a large pan and saute garlic until lightly golden. Stir in pepper flakes
- Stir in broccoli florets and cook until bright green and lightly charred.
- Add beans and artichokes, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle lemon juice over all and continue cooking for a minute or two to blend flavours
- If topping with a couple of poached eggs, now would be a good time to cook them.