SAVOURY BAKED NOODLES (KUGEL)
I love kugel, especially the savoury kind. Well, in truth I love anything with pasta and cheese. It’s the ultimate comfort food especially welcomed now that we are heading into some chilly days. I call it my hibernation food.
This next recipe was made to be a complete meal with spinach and mushrooms and lots of dairy for protein. I baked it no-oven-galley-style in my stove top Omnia but for you land folks it easily transforms to a more traditional cooking method
Look at all that noodley goodness. A few extra grinds of pepper and you are ready to dive in.
More of my fave baked pasta dishes….
- ½ celo package of eggs noodles, cooked according to directions (about 3-4 cups cooked)
- 1 package mushrooms, sliced
- ½ celo package of baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 package of Boursin cheese (I used the cracked pepper one)
- 4 tbsp butter melted and divided
- ½ cup grated parmesan plus 2 tbsp for topping
- In saucepan heat 2 tbsp butter.
- Saute mushrooms until they lose thier moisture and begin to brown
- Add onion and spinach and stir until spinach has wilted.
- Stir in parsley and season.
- Remove from hear and set aside to cool
- In large bowl combine the remaining ingredients (minus the butter) and cooked noodles.
- Stir in cooled spinach mushroom mixture.
- Spoon into prepared Omnia cooking pan.
- Drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp butter and sprinkle with 2 tbsp Parmesan
- Cover and place on heated base plate on high for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned..
- If using conventional oven, vake uncovered in pre-heated 350 deg oven for same amount of time.
Inspiration thanks to the Nosher