At the beginning of each boating season I buy a big container of dried wild mushrooms. They’re easy to re-hydrate for so many delicious meals. I also grind them to add richness to sauces.
Look at those rich beefy looking babies. They’ve been soaking in water all day even though it usually takes about 15 minutes to re-hydrate. And all deep brown broth is so good saved for sauces, gravies or soups. Please don’t toss it.
If someone told me these were slices of beef I’d believe them they were that meaty.
These are the last of my farmers market greens we bought four days ago, all crispy and still very fresh. It shows just how unfresh a lot of main stream grocery store produce really is.
Meatless Monday just got a whole lot better with this awesome salad. All dressed up with goat cheese crumbles and tangy slivers of sun-dried tomatoes and some crunchy pita chips
- 2 cups dried wild mushrooms, re-hydrated or 1 lb fresh, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup white wine
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- Balsamic vinaigrette (see below for my easy boat recipe)
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup slivered sun-dried tomatoes (I used the ones in oil)
- Melt butter in your saucepan.
- Drain mushrooms if using the dried variety, reserving the broth for other uses.
- Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add green onion and garlic and saute for several minutes.
- If using fresh mushrooms, saute until most of the liquid is gone.
- Deglaze with white wine and continute to cook until the liquid is gone.
- Plate your greens.
- Divide warm mushroom mixture between the two plates.
- Garnish with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Drizzle all with vinaigrette.
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- ⅓ cup good quality olive oil
- Place all ingredients in a small container with tight fitting lid.
- Close securely and shake until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Use in your favourite salad.
- Refrigerate any remainder until ready to use.