EASY CHEESY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
I wasn’t going to write a blog post about this recipe until Captain gave his review (unbiased of course). It was love at first bite. Sometimes going to that extra effort is worth it to hear the ‘mmmm’s’ and ‘oh-this-is-SO-good’s’ Not that in a traditional galley or land kitchen it would be difficult to put together (basically a cheesed up spiced up white sauce with a chicken filling) but there was the saucepan and the extra bowl to mix the chicken ingredients and there was the baking pan (ours typically is the stove top Omnia). My teeny tiny sink with the manual hand pump faucet is going to have a work out tonight.
Another easy way for me to rationalize it (aside from how utterly delicious it was) was that it made four generous servings (I stacked the loaded tortillas into one pan) so tonight’s effort becomes tomorrow night’s reprieve. Extra dishes to be washed tonight a small sacrifice.
Having already cooked and shredded chicken is a plus as far a prep. I’ve also used in a pinch the ready cooked chicken from the grocer.
Unlike in a conventional baking dish the Omnia oven space is limited so I staggered four enchiladas on top of four more then piled on the rest of the sauce and cheese.
Not my prettiest presentation. Not my worst either. But it was tasty cheesy overload.
- 6 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups grated pepper jack cheese, divided
- ¼ cup chopped pickled jalapenos
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 10 small (6") corn or flour tortillas
- Make the cheese sauce by melting the butter and stiring in the flour, cooking for a minute or two.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth allowing the sauce to thicken as you go.
- Add seasonings, yogurt, and sriracha
- In a bowl stir together softened cheese, ½ cup sauce, jalapenos, 2 cups of shredded cheese and chicken.
- Spoon about ½ cup of sauce in the bottom of baking pan.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly onto each tortilla, fold and layer evening over sauce.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over all.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- If using conventional oven, bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until bubbly and cheese has melted, about 20 minutes.
- If using the Omnia stove top oven, heat base plate for 5 minutes.
- Place filled covered baking pan on the base plate for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook for about 20 minutes, until cheese has melted and sauce is bubbly.