Today’s recipe is a little weird, even for me. I’m not vegetarian and certainly not vegan. I do like meat from time to time and now that we are living on the east coast am loving the abundance of fresh fish and seafood sometimes literally at our back door. But I’m really intrigued by some nutirent-rich plant-based dishes. I feel it’s good to learn more about how other healthy people prepare their meals and about the ingredient selection they make. A person whose food choices and stories I follow is Carolyn Cassner, a recipe developer who posted a recipe for ‘hot dogs’ made with marinated fresh carrots. Worth a try I thought and Captain Francois is always up for sampling new things, however strange they might be.
So I steamed me some carrots…
Marinated them overnight…
I tried two versions, one with the marinade ingredients and one with leftover pickle brine. The brine also comes in handy for making tasty potato and bean salad (my recipe here)
Then Captain grilled them lightly on the BBQ while I toasted some buns in the galley.
Dress them as you would a traditional hot dog…or as we do, loaded with chopped onions, Dijon mustard, some sauerkraut and this time with our latest crush spicy pickled asparagus spears (bonus is more brine for another time)
Galley Kat Post Script: My son refuses to eats carrots in any form unless they are mashed and disguised with other vegetables. Well! At a recent cabin/camping weekend he scarfed down two of these babies calling them ‘perfect‘. Presentation? I think not, but certainly a little Momma wizardry.
- 6 medium sized carrots
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Bragg Aminos or soya sauce of choice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup leftover pickle brine
- 6 hot dog buns, toasted if desired
- Hot Dog fixings: onions, ketchup, mustard, relish, sauerkraut etc
- Steam carrots in about 2" of water for about 10-15 minutes until crispy tender.
- In the meantime whisk together ingredients for the marinade.
- For version one: Place steamed carrots in the contain with the marinade (broth, Bragg, mustard and seasonings) and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight if time allows, turning from time to time.
- For version two: Place steamed carrots in container with the pickle brine and refrigerate as noted above.
- When ready to cook, drain from marinade and grill as you would a normal hot dog allowing crisp grill marks to form.
- Toast buns and dress dogs to your liking.