CHEESY SPINACH STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Want an easy side dish for your supper tonight? These stuffed mushrooms were super simple to throw together and very tasty . I can even see them made with smaller mushrooms served as an appetizer.
I made six for the two of us but the filling could easily have been enough for eight mushrooms. I really over filled them.
I spiced up the filling with some dried chilis but other seasoning could have been added. Try tarragon, rosemary ot thyme for example or some chopped fresh basil. Another variation would be to swap out the cream cheese for some soft blue cheese. Wouldn’t that be delicious with the perfectly grilled steak?
For a few minutes of preparation and just 10 minutes on the grill, oven or stove top you have the perfect addition to your next summer feast.
- 6-8 mini portobella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups finely chopped spinach
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
- 1 small green onion, minced
- 1 pinch of crushed chilis (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the mushroom stems and mince
- Scrape the fins of each mushroom reserving to add to the filling mix
- Rub caps with oil.
- In a mixing bowl combine cheese, spinach, garlic, green onion and reserved mushroom bits.
- Combine well and season with salt and pepper and chilis if using.
- Fill each mushroom cavity with the mixture.
- If using Omnia stove top, heat base plate on high for 5 minutes.
- Place filled mushrooms in baking pan, cover and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium high and continue to cook until cheese is bubbly and juices begin to seep from mushroom.
- If using a BBQ, place on preheat medium high grill, close cover and cook for about 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly
Inspiration thanks to Rachel