MEAT ‘n POTATOES PIZZA
By now you likely know much I love leftovers. Cooking once so we can eat two or three times just makes so much sense for us in my little galley. Tonight I had extra portions of meatloaf and mashed potatoes with a few Brussels sprouts in the boat cooler.
Captain had a hunger on for pizza so I threw together this next recipe using my now favourite grilled pizza rounds and every last leftover scrap. Meat and potatoes doesn’t usually come to mind when you think pizza but this was really good.
I sautéed some onion with the shaved Brussels sprouts very quickly to keep the crunch and the rest was layering the toppings.
Here’s a link to my go-to pizza dough recipe
Mashed potatoes formed the base, then I added the Brussels sprouts, crumbled meatloaf then a healthy sprinkling of cheese. A few minutes on the grill just enough to heat everything through, crisp up the bottom of the pizza round and melt the cheese.
Dinner is served!
- 1 recipe for pizza dough
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup crumbled meatloaf
- 2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cup shredded cheese
- Chow chow pickles for serving (optional)
- For the pizza rounds divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- On floured surface roll and stretch each piece into approximately 8" rounds.
- On a very hot grill place each round directly in the grill and cook until the bottom is browned and crispy. If not using right away you can grill both sides and set aside until ready to use. They make great flat breads for dipping into sauces, especially yummy added to a saucy pasta meal.
- Remove rounds from the grill.
- On the cooked side of the pizza round spread equal amounts of mashed potatoes, Brussels sprout next, crumbled meatloaf then top with cheese.
- Place pizzas back on the grill and cook until under side is brown and crispy and cheese has melted.
- Serve with some chow chow pickles if you wish