I can’t get enough of fresh market tomatoes. Ripe plump so juicy and sweet they make the perfect back drop to any summer meal.
Tonight I made this super delicious salad alla caprese style but with the addition of pasta. Any pasta will do but fettuccini was what I had on hand (broken into 2-3″ bits to make eating easier).
This one is not too dissimilar to my Ultimate Tomato Salad but the addition of pasta gives it a whole meal step up from just another tomato salad.
And please don’t forget the bread.
There is still lots of flavourful, slightly salty juice from those fresh tomatoes that needs sopping up.
- 4-5 vine ripened tomatoes, coursely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp good quality olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped plus more for garnish
- 1 pkg of fresh mozzarella
- *1 lb or about 450-500 g of pasta of choice, cooked and drained (see Galley Kat Note below)
- In a large salad bowl whisk together the vinegar and olive oil.
- Add garlic, onion and tomatoes, basil and toss.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper and set aside for at least 3 hours if time permits.
- When ready to serve add torn pieces of fresh mozzarella and toss again.
- Add drained pasta and toss yet again.
- Serve with extra basil and please don't forget the bread.
* Make sure the cooking water is well salted. It should taste like sea water.
Inspiration thanks to Food 52