HALIFAX DONAIR PIZZA
The trouble with setting goals is that you’re constantly working toward what you used to want.” According to Sarah Manguso author of 300 Arguments. No wonder my goal-setting isn’t working out for me these days.
My mind is a pinball machine this week. ‘Ping’…change direction….’Ping’…there I go again…’Ping’…oooh, I think I’ll try that!
Someone mentioned Donair Pizza and all of a sudden I was craving….you guessed it…Donair Pizza. ‘Ping’
One loaf for slicing now. One loaf to stash away in the freezer for future meals.
My fave Perfectly Simple Pizza Dough recipe
I made these as four individual pizzas. They’re easier to dress then slip from the pizza peel onto the heated pizza stone when they are smaller and after so many years making pizza I fianlly got smart and placed the dough onto a piece of parchment paper sprinkled with some corn meal before dressing. No more sticking dough. No more swearing and the best part, super easy clean up after..
With the links above to making the donair meat and pizza dough I hardly need to do a recipe card for you but here goes….
- 1 recipe for donair meat including donair sauce
- 1 recipe for pizza dough
- 1 large firm tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 generous cups shredded pizza cheese (at least 4)
- Parchment paper
- Corn meal
- Preheat oven to 450 ° F
- If using a pizza stone insert it in the oven as it heats.
- Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper and dust lightly with corn meal
- Form the dough into 4 approximately 9” rounds and lay out on the parchment.
- Srpinkle tops of each dough with corn meal.
- Divide chopped tomato and onion over the four.
- Sprinkle each with half the cheese.
- Top with thinly sliced doair meat (cut as thinly as you can)
- Top with the rest of the cheese.
- If using pizza stone, carefully slide the pizza loaded parchement onto the heat stone and bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese has melted and crust is golden brown.
- If not using pizza stone slide the pizza loaded parchement directly onto the oven rack.
- Repeat then slice and enjoy