SUMMER VEGETABLE TIAN
I made this vegetarian dish in my little galley Omnia Stove Top Oven but it is traditionally made in a conventional oven. And because I felt lazy today, it was hot and we were at anchor and it had been a very long day and I didn’t want a lot of washing up, I decided to sauté the onion and garlic directly in the Omnia cooking pan instead of a sauté pan. Worked our very well, I said patting myself on the back.
If being a conventional on land kind of cook, cook the onions and garlic in a sauté pan with olive oil, prepare your oven casserole, layer veggies and bake at 350 ° covered for at least 30 minutes until veggies are tender, add the cheese topping and continue to cook uncovered until cheese is melted and begins to brown around the edges. That’s it! Now on to my galley creation…
While all this sautéing was going on, I sliced the potatoes, zucchini and tomatoes.
When the onion and garlic were all fragrant I layered potatoes first, sprinkling with seasoning and more olive oil…repeat with a zucchini layer.
…next came the tomatoes, more seasoning, olive oil and chopped herbs
After ‘baking’ for 40 minutes covered, I sprinkled with cheeses, covered again and ‘baked’ for another 15 minutes until the cheeses had melted.
This is a wonderful vegetarian dish all on its own but makes a delicious compliment to any grilled supper. It makes enough for 4 servings so we enjoyed the leftovers the next morning for breakfast with some crusty bread to sop up the juices.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- Several 'glugs' of olive oil
- 1 large potato or several baby potatoes, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 2 tsp Italian spice
- Several grinds fresh pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs in 2 tbsp olive oil or a mixture of Gourmet Garden basil and parsley.
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella
- In your pan, cook onions and garlic in a swirl or two of olive oil until they become fragrant and softened
- Remove from heat and smooth them evenly around the Omnia cooking pan.
- Layer slice potatoes evenly over the onion and garlic.
- Sprinkle with Italian spice, pepper and a liberal swirl of olive oil
- Layer next with zucchini and repeat with the spice and swirl.
- Next comes the tomatoes with more spice and another swirl.
- Smear your herb mixture over the tomatoes and set the cooking pan, covered on heated Omnia ring.
- Cook on medium for about 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheeses, cover and continue cooking for another 15 minutes until cheese melts
- You can turn up the heat a bit near the end to get a nice brown crust on the edges.