PORTUGUESE COD, POTATO and EGG CASSEROLE
We do love our fish. Haven't had a lot of luck catching the critters during our summers on the boat but we do dream someday of improving on this skill. When we are lucky enough to get hold of fresh fish it's a feast aboard. With a little pretending tonight I created this Portuguese dish with some fresh cod found at our local fish market.
Starting with some sautéed onions and garlic, the rest was easy.
Sliced mini potatoes and pieces of fish.
Layered, drizzled, seasoned and baked.
Stove top or conventional oven this recipe is a keeper. Simple to put together. A wonderful combination of flavours and textures.
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 small white onions, quartered and thinly sliced (about 1 cup sliced)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large cod filets, cut to fit baking pan
- 2 large or several mini potatoes (I used the minis)sliced into 1/16-inch-thick rounds (about 3 cups sliced)
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, thinly sliced, plus more to garnish
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in saute pan, add bay leaves and cook onion and garlic until onion is slightly browned.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Discard bay leaves
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil in bottom of baking pan.
- Arrange ¼ of the potatoes over oil.
- Top with ⅓ onion , then ¼ olives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with another 1tbsp oil.
- Repeat potato, onion, olive layer.
- Season again.
- Top with half the cod pieces.
- Arrange ½ the egg slices.
- Arrange another layer of potatoes, the rest of the onions, olives, cod and eggs slices.
- Drizzle another 1 tbsp oil.
- Top with remaining potatoes.
- Season and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- If using conventional oven, bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until potatoes are cooked.
- If using Omnia stove top, heat base plate on high for 5 minutes.
- Place covered baking pan on base plate and continue cooking on high for another 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for another 30 minutes unitl potatoes are cooked.
- Garnish with extra olives and parsley