PHILLY CHEESE STEAK
Although a lot of our meals are vegetarian, even vegan, we are anything but against animal protein. And there are times when I actually crave a good feed of steak. Today is that day.
This will make an excellent boat meal once we are back on the water. I even used one of our galley cooking pans to sauté the onions, pepper and mushrooms.
Next, a healthy sprinkling of salt and pepper for the beef.
And finally a little stir to gently cook the beef strips with all those wonderful juices getting to know each other. So easy! I piled portions of the mixture into some fresh buns (I find the softer types work best, like hoagie or hot dog style), topped with slices of cheese then wrapped each in foil all ready for the grill or oven.
The recipe makes four very generous sandwiches so we had delicious leftovers for another meal. Popped in my little stove top Omnia oven, on medium low heat for about 10 minutes and we were ready to dine again.
The reason for not separately cooking the ingredients, veggies, removing from pan, then steak bits was so I could gather all those yummy juices, reduce then serve the ‘au jus’ as a dipping sauce.
Look at all that ooy , gooy goodness.
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and julienned
- 1 package of mushrooms, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 lb steak, thinly sliced and cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soya sauce or Bragg soya aminos
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 sheets of foil wrap
- 4 bread rolls
- Prepare 4 sheets of foil and set aside.
- Season steak with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Sauté onion in 2 tbsp of butter until softened.
- Add green peppers and mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and Bragg or soya sauce.
- Season with a few grinds of pepper and sauté until vegetables are cooked.
- Add steak to mix and stir gently cooking until desired doneness.
- Place 4 roll halves onto each foil sheet.
- Divide steak mixture evenly onto 4 roll halves.
- Lay cheese slices over mixture then top with roll half.
- Wrap each loosely and place on heated grill or in preheated 350 deg oven for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime add 2 tbsp of butter to the pan juices and simmer until slightly reduced.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve juices on the side as a dipping sauce