“Soup is a lot like a family. Each ingredient enhances the others; each batch has its own characteristics; and it needs time to simmer to reach full flavour” ~Marge Kennedy
…and who doesn’t love soup?
….and we are in need of some simple healthy holiday overindulgence relief.
This next delicious soul and heart-warming soup is straight out of Soup for Syria. Over 50 renowned chefs have contributed to this wonderful book. Costs for production and distribution have been absorbed so the total cover price of each book sold will go directly to helping Syrian refugees.
The ingredients are simple fresh vegetables but I can see that adding some leftover grilled chicken to the mix would work very well with the wonderful lemony flavour. I also added some feta cheese crumbled on top. A little crusty bread to serve with and it was the perfect meal.
I would suggest adding the lemon juice bit by bit to get just the right amount that suits your taste. Each lemon gives different quantities – mine , yielded almost 1/2 cup. We loved the flavour but it could be extreme for some.
It makes a generous amount, more than I would usually make for the boat, but with the big Canadian chill settling in, each serving was a welcomed belly-warming pleasure.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2-4 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 large fennel bulbs, sliced
- 2 -4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 120ml double cream
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon for garnish and extra ground pepper
- Feta cheese for garnish
- Heat the oil and saute the onions, garlic, leeks and fennel for a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes, stock, cinnamon stick, lemon peel, allspice and bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil, then gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon, lemon and bay, and season.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cream, then stir in a large spoonful of soup.
- Whisk well, then tip into the soup.
- Slowly return the soup to just below boiling, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Drizzle each bowl with oil and sprinkle with cinnamon and crumbles of feta.
Inspiration thanks to Soup for Syria