ROASTED RHUBARB SHORTCAKE
More rhubarb love for you today my Galley Peeps. I’m not sure how long I can keep going back to my little garden patch and harvest enough fresh goodness for yet another recipe but I’ll keep going until I can’t. Over the top enthusiasm? Maybe, but after living in a condo apartment for so many years and I can now waltz..yes, waltz…out my back door and forage for food…you might be a little over the top too.
Instead of stewing I chose roasting on the bbq. For one thing it freed up the oven for making biscuits but roasting gives a richer deeper caramelized flavour and colour.
So while the rhubarb was roasting away I threw together a batch of my favourite biscuits (recipe here). Instead of the usual shredded cheese and green onions I added three tablespoons of sugar to the mix and sprinkled some sugar over each before baking just to add an extra touch of sweetness.
Leftover biscuits will go so well tomorrow with a little butter, a morsel of cheese and jam for breakfast. Mmmm…another idea emerging…rhubarb jam? I’m like a Kat caught in a pinball machine…ping…new direction.
Roasted Rhubarb Shortcakes
- 4 Cups Rhubarb Chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 4 Biscuits Cut in half
- 1 Cup Whipped cream
- Toss rhubarb pieces and sugar together and set aside for about 30 minutes
- Spread sugary rhubarb evenly on a grill pan and cover with foil.
- Roast in a pre-heated 400 ° F (204 ° C) oven or a covered bbq grill set on high for 15 minutes
- Remove foil and continue to roast for another five minutes.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. It will keep well for a week.
Inspiration thanks to Life Made Delicious