Since the overwhleming success of the Rhubarb Cocktail (find the recipe here. If you haven’t already tried it…you MUST), I’ve been in love with the rhubarb/lime/ginger combo. So I took one of my favourite Galley Kat muffin recipes Lemon Ginger Muffins (recipe here) and transformed it into the ideal tea-time treat. The perfect combination of tart rhubarb, a hint of lime and the bite of ginger.
This recipe works equally well for the Omnia stove top oven as it does for you conventional oven users. I actually prefer using the Omnia even though we have a perfectly good oven in my little land galley by the sea. I like the ‘smallness’ and efficiency…a few minutes to heat the base plate…it takes about the same amount of time to cook…so much less energy is used in the process.
Time to put on a pot of tea. Muffins are ready.
Rhubarb Lime Ginger Muffins
- 1/2 Cup Butter Softened
- 1 Cup Sugar + 1 tbsp to sprinkle on top
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Lime rind
- 1 Cup Buttermilk Or 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tsp Ginger paste
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp Powdered ginger
- 2/3 Cups Crystal ginger Chopped
- 2 Cup Rhubarb Cut into 1/2” pieces
- Whip butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Whisk in eggs, lime rind, ginger paste and buttermilk
- In separate bowl combine flour, salt, soda and powdered ginger.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and fold in until combined.
- Fold in chrystal ginger and rhubarb
- Divide amonst prepared muffin cups and sprinkle lightly with sugar
- In a conventional oven, bake in a pre-heated 375 ° F (190 ° C) oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick test comes out clean.
- If using the Omnia stove top oven, place filled muffin cups on baking rack inside Omnia baking pan, cover and set on pre-heated base plate on high for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue to bake until lightly browned and toothpick test comes out clean...about 15 miniutes
Galley Kat Notes:
- Omnia stove top oven (optional)
Inspiration thanks to boat friend Lenore with a little Galley Kat thrown into the mix.