CHILLED RHUBARB STRAWBERRY SOUP
What do cucumbers, strawberries and rhubarb have in common? Yes, two of them are vegetables smarty pants. But when the three of them meet together with a touch of chocolate balsamic vinegar they become the makings of a very memorable fresh summery soup.
This time of year we still depend on imported strawberries which tend to be large and watery and since chilling mutes flavours you may want to add a touch more salt, a dash more of balsamic vinegar or maybe even a pinch of sugar.
Perfectly refreshing and ideal as a starter for your next barbecue or as a super easy light meal all on its own. And soup for breakfast? Why not?
Chilled Rhubarb Strawberry Soup
- 1 1/2 Cups Rhubarb Chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 English cucumber
- 3 Cups Strawberries Hulled and halved
- 1 Tbsp Chocolate Balsamic vinegar Regular balsamic vinegar will do too
- Salt and pepper To taste
- Balsamic reduction To serve
- Plain Greek yogurt To serve
- Place rhubarb with a spoons full of water and simmer until pieces dislve into shreads. About 5 minutes
- Cut off about 2” from the end of the cucumber and dice. Reserve this for serving
- Peel the rest of the cucumber and chop.
- Add rhubarb, chopped peeled cucumber, strawberries and blasamic vinegar to a bowl and with an immersion blend, blend until smooth. A regualar counter top blender is fine for this too.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Ladle into bowls. Add a dollop of yogurt and sprinkling of diced reserved cucumber. Finally add a grind of black pepper and serve.
Thanks to the Washington Post for the inspiration.