There’s nothing more satisfying than a rich, creamy, custardy bread pudding. It’s like having dessert for breakfast.
This was a product of using up some galley supplies. The last of my farm eggs from happy chickens, some opened canned milk, aging whole grain bread (hard to believe this one slipped by my bread-lovin’ man) and canned peaches (yes, I know fresh are in season but I’m trying to use up some provisions so I can dive into enjoying ‘real’ peaches. The side benefit with peaches canned in juice was that I reserved the liquid and made Captain a very yummy Peach Rum Fizz later in the day)
So, while all that creamy rich egg and milk mixture was soaking into the bread, I used my magic Goop to prepare my stove top Omnia Oven pan. I’ve tried Pam as a pan release (don’t like all that aerosol smell), I’ve tried sprayed cooking oil and I’ve tried butter. BG (Before Goop) the butter worked fairly well but as you can see, after a gazillion uses of my treasured Omnia, it still looks brand new. I make up little jars of it and keep them in the boat cooler. Recipe for Goop here.
Will have to do a post on Captain’s Peach Rum Fizz…and because of how much my Pirate Man enjoyed it Must find a larger supply of peach juice.
The only thing that would have made this more perfect would have been the addition of some crispy bacon. Maybe with tomorrow’s leftovers. I served it drizzled with a little extra maple syrup but really, it’s subtle sweetness and rich custardy texture was perfection all on its own.
- 6 eggs, lightly whisked
- 3 cups milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup sugar (brown or white)
- ¼ cup mape syrup
- 4 cups of 1" bread cubes
- 1 cup chopped canned peaches
- Prepare your baking pan and set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, seasonings, maple syrup and sugar.
- Add bread cubes and let stand for a few minutes, pushing down into the egg mixture to release some bubbles.
- Pour mixture into prepare pan.
- Dot with peaches, pushing them down into the bread and eggs.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 ° ) or covered on heated Omnia ring for 40-60 minutes until a knife plinged in centre comes out clean.
Post Script Note to Self
Make sure our combined weight of 300 lbs is well distributed port/starboard next time.