ASIAN-INSPIRED MEATBALLS with CUCUMBER SALAD
‘Tis the season filled with shopping, facing crowds, traffic. The season filled with over-scheduling. The season filled with stress for some. Well, if I can offer you just one super easy and super delicious recipe to serve to your guests, one that can be prepared a little in advance then I am one very happy Galley Kat.
This post is actually two recipes in one because sometimes Happy Hour is all that’s necessary if you offer all or most of the basic food groups…protein and a salad and a beverage of choice pretty much makes it a complete meal.
First off, this easy cucumber salad with its Asian flavours is best made a little in advance to let those flavours meld together and soak into the cucumber. I’ve also made it with a grated carrot added to the mix for extra nutrition and colour.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together, pour over the cucumber and set aside while you throw together the rest.
These meatballs are delicious made with ground turkey or chicken too or lean ground beef if you wish but today it was 100% ground pork.
I can offer you two options for cooking. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and bake the little balls in a preheated 350 ° oven for 15-20 minutes or as I did here (boat friendly ie no oven method) in a sauté pan until nicely browned and cooked through.
At this point everything can be set aside until your guests arrive. Simply reheat the meatballs when ready to serve.
Minimal, effortless and absolutely delicious. I promise!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 green onions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 tbsp red chili paste
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Combine ground meat, onion, garlic, ginger, chili paste, egg, panko and salt and pepper.
- Form into small meatballs, about 1" in diameter.
- If cooking in conventional oven, preheat to 350 °
- Line baking pan with parchment paper and cook the meatballs until nicely browned and cooked through.
- If using stove top method, cook balls in batches in sauté pan until browned and cooked through.
- While balls are cooking whisk together the remaining ingredients and set aside for serving.
- When ready to serve, thread meatballs (2-3 depending on size of skewer) and serve with dipping sauce on the side.
- 1 English cucumber, very thinly sliced (about 3-4 cups)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- Place green onion and cucumber in a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients and pour over cucumber and onion.
- Set aside for at least one hour to let flavour meld.