Did you ever think you would see ’addictive’ and ‘Brussels sprouts’ coupled together. Well, this might just be the recipe to tip all those sprout haters into sprout lovers. Savoury and sweet all in the same dish with a little added crunch of charred Brussels sprouts, it makes the perfect side dish. But today was to be one of our meatless days and I wanted this to be the main event so I added some crumbled bacon and quickly seared slices of halloumi cheese which added even more satisfying texture and subtle salty bites.
I would love to hear back from all you Brussels sprout haters to know if this was the pivotal recipe that finally changed your tune from ‘no way’ to ‘heck yeah’.
Addictive Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Dates
- 2 slices bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 lb brussels sprouts halved
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup dates pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 Oz halloumi cheese cut into bite-sized pieces
- In a large sauté pan, fry bacon until browned and crispy with the fat rendered, about 5 minute.
- Remove bacon from pan, add halloumi and quickly fry on both sides until nicely browned and a crispy crust forms. Remove and set aside with the bacon.
- Drain most of fat and add olive oil and Brussels sprouts to the pan face down and sauté until well browned.
- Season well with salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Reduce heat and add dates and vinegar, stirring and cooking a couple of minutes until Brussels sprouts are well coated.
- Add bacon and halloumi to pan and give one last toss to coat well.
- Serve warm.
Inspiration thanks to Half Baked Harvest.