BARB’S SWEET POTATO SOUP
I love it when friends share their yummy recipes and this one is certainly going on my regular rotation. Super easy to make with lots of healthy ingredients. We have guests coming soon so this will be the perfect dish to stash away in the freezer for an impromptu meal along with my go-to biscuit recipe after a day of site seeing (recipe for biscuits here: CALLIE’S CHEESEY BISCUITS)
It’s not necessary, but roasting the veggies adds lots of extra flavour. I’ve made this recipe with oven roasting, pan roasting and also tried it in my Omnia stove top oven. All were delicious and took about the same amount of time so feel free to pick which method is best for you. For this one I’m pan roasting and if you use a big enough pan you can save on extra cleaning up. I’ve listed an immersion blender in the equipment but a regular blender is fine too. Just make sure you cool things off a bit. Those splatters really hurt…speaking from personal experience.
As I mentioned, this freezes really well. I’ve been trying to eliminate…or at least cut back on… the use of plastic and have found a great alternative – Mason jars.
I’m thinking that this could develop into a series…Friends’ Faves…so dear Galley Peeps, if you have a favourite recipe you would like to share with me, I’ll try them out in my tiny environment and post them in your name. All options open for trial..oven…stove top…sweets…salads. I welcome the challenge and love turning a recipe into something that can be recreated almost anywhere. Talk soon.
Thanks a bunch Barb for this keeper of a recipe!
Barb’s Sweet Potato Soup
- Omnia stove top oven (optional)
- immersion blender
- 1/4 cup Butter or coconut oil
- 1 large Sweet potato peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large Carrots cut into chunks
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Apple chopped
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 cups Vegetable or chicken broth
- 160 ml Can of coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or feta cheese
- In a large saucepan heat butter or coconut oil.
- Add sweet potato, carrot and onion and sauté until the veggies begin to lightly brown
- Add apple, lentils and seasonings and sauté for another couple of minutes.
- Stir in broth and simmer until vegetables are cooked through, about 15 minutes
- Remove from stove and allow to cool before blending. You’ll thank me later.
- Blend soup until creamy and smooth.
- Return to low heat, stir in coconut milk and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with a scoop of plain yogurt or crumbled feta