Well this is fun! I put out feelers on my last post to ask my Galley Peeps to challenge me in my teeny tiny kitchen. Calling it my Friends’ Faves series. Barb’s Sweet Potato Soup was a big hit (recipe here).
One of my peeps reached out with this awesomely delicious and super easy chicken recipe. Can you re-create this in your stove top oven she asked? Heck yeh! I even went a step further than I usually do and sautéed the onion and garlic right in the Omnia baking pan to save on washing up.
The rest was dead easy. Season chicken. Lay them to rest on top of the onion mixture.
Spoon a heavenly mixture of honey and three mustards over all and dress with sprigs of fresh rosemary. That’s it!
I used two large deboned chicken breasts cut in half and it took a little over 20 minutes on medium high to cook. Total time will depend on the size of your meat but certainly no longer than 25-30 minutes from start to finish.
While your stove top Omnia is doing its thing you can prepare some fluffy grains to serve. My pressure cooker is another treasured member of my Galley Gear. Three minutes was all it took for perfectly cooked Basmati rice. And since I’m in the full bloom of my summer garden right now I harvested some green beans for steaming. Oh, and don’t forget to pass the sauce. After drizzling some over your chicken ladle the rest into a small pitcher. Amazing flavours will bathe your grains in yumminess. I promise.
And never fear all you conventional oven users, I made this again recently for guests from away and it was just as easy and just as tasty made in my land oven. The only down-side was the extra heat it generated in the kitchen…another reason to adore my little Omnia.
Thanks Jenny for the recipe.
Jenny’s Honey Mustard Chicken
- Omnia stove top oven (optionl)
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in two
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Place chicken on cutting board and season well on both sides with salt and pepper
- In a small bowl mix mustards and honey together
for omnia stove top
- Place Omnia baking pan on pre-heated base plate and heat olive oil.
- Over medium high heat saute onion and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Place chicken pieces over the onion.
- Spoon mustard mixture evenly over each chicken piece and place a sprig of rosemary over each. Place the omnia lid and cook on medium heat for about 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the centre.
for conventional oven
- Saute onion and garlic in small pan until onion is translucent.
- Spread onion mixture in oven proof dish and top with chicken pieces then spread each piece with mustards and honey. Top with rosemary and cook in a pre-heated 375 ° F (190 ° C) oven for 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the centre.
- Serve chicken pieces over rice with a side of freshly steamed vegetables.
- Spoon some of the sauce over each piece and decant the rest of the sauce to pass at the table.