GREEK INSPIRED MEATBALLS
Just because I’m not a football fan (oh the shame!) doesn’t mean I can’t offer you something yummy to nosh on during this year’s big game.
Just throw meat and all into a big bowl, dive in with both hands (properly washed of course) and squish all of those aromatic ingredients together.
Serve warm with some tzatziki for dipping and a side salad.
An icy crisp beer rounds off the presentaion.
I’ve added a recipe for a quick Greek Salad Dressing for you in case you want to make your appetizer more of a complete meal. Just toss with some tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and olives. Serve with some freshly made pita bread (my easy stove top recipe here)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 225g package of white mushrooms, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 5 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup panko
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- juice of 1 large lemon
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 big handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh mint
- 2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Tzatziki for serving
- In a small bowl mix beaten eggs, panko and lemon juice and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Add the egg mixture with the remaining ingredients.
- With clean hands mix all together.
- Form into meatballs, about 1”
- Cook in a saute pan in batches until browned or bake in a 400 ° F oven for about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with tzatziki for dipping
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Place all the ingredients into a small jar and shake vigorously.
- Serve over your favourite salad.