BEET VEGGIE BURGERS
I thought you might be a bit tired of broccoli (my last two broccoli filled recipes can be found here for Broccoli Chicken Balls and here for Broccoli Potato Cakes) but right along the veggie theme this week is a very share-worthy recipe.
Don’t you just love this time of year when fresh local produce is so readily available?
The mixture came together really well and unlike a lot of veggie-type burgers that end up a bit crumbly, this actually took on the feel and texture of ground meat.
Unlike most of my boat galley recipes I did enlist the held of a food processor to blend the oats and chick peas. If none is available for you, try using instant oats which will break down more easily during cooking and smash the chick peas with the back of spoon until they form a paste. More work but I’m big on options.
They fried up beautifully in a little oil with a sweet crisp caramellized crust.
Delicious with or without the bun.
More veggie burgers ideas:
Chick Pea Sweet Potato Burger
And for you meat/fish folks:
Beet Veggie Burgers
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil Plus extra for frying burgers
- 1/2 Cup Chopped onion
- 1 Garlic clove Chopped
- 2 Beets Grated
- 1 Zucchini Grated
- 2 Carrots Grated
- 1/2 Cup Rolled oats
- 1 Tin Chick peas Drained
- 3 Tbsp Tahini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Egg
- 3 Green onions Thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp Parsely Finely chopped
- Heat oil and saute vegetables until softened, about 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and drain any excess liquid
- In food processor blend oats, chick peas and tahini
- Add chick pea mixture to vegetables and sitr to combine
- Season to taste then add egg, green onions and parsley
- Form into 12 equally sized balls (an ice cream scoop helps)
- Heat a extra oil in pan, add balls and flatten into burgers with a spatula, cooking until lightly browned and crispy on each side.
- Serve as is with a side of vegetables or load on a burger bun with preferred fixings.