BLACK BEAN and QUINOA BURGERS
If you are, as we are, trying to cut back on animal protein, I have a great recipe for you. I made the base of it intending on making burgers
All mixed together mostly with onhand ingredients, it’s such a treat for us onboard our little boat, in our little galley (I do mean little) to be able to put together a healthy meal without having to go to market for fresh things. I call it shopping my pantry.
The mixture came together too with very little after-clean-up involved as I formed the burger balls and dumped them directly back into my smash-the-beans bowl.
Because the only uncooked ingredient is the egg, you just need only to smash the balls flat and brown lightly on each side, dress it up with toasted bun and your fave fixings and dive in.
I realized that the mixture is very much like burrito filling so for another meal I wrapped it all up for yet another meatless dinner.
For burritos wrap each in foil, then cook/heat on your bbq grill or on a grill pan, flipping half way through or in an Omnia stove top oven for about 15 minutes on medium low. This should give the added egg a chance to cook in case you’re nervous about a raw egg in the mixture.
And since I was on a meatless roll I formed smaller balls another time to make a vegetarian meatball and pasta dinner.
(Link to my recipe easy tomato/marinara/pasta sauce here)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped re-hydrated dired mushrooms or ½ cup fresh, chopped (I find re-hydrated works best for this though)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsp flour (regular, potato or rice works)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Oil for cooking burgers.
- Buns if making burgers, plus fixings of choice (tomato and onion slices, lettuce, condiments)
- Tortillas if making burritos, plus fxings of choice (sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, salsa, avocado and don't forget the hot sauce)
- Marinara sauce, cooked pasta of choice and extra grated cheese if making 'meatballs'
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl empty the drained, rinsed beans and smash with a fork.
- You can leave a few chunks but it should be a similar texture to chunky refried beans.
- Add the rest of the ingredients up to the cayenne (excluding the eggs)
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in egg.
- If making burgers, form into 6-8 balls about the size of small oranges.
- When ready to cook heat a bit of oil in your fry pan and add the number of burgers to be cooked.
- With a spatula flatten the balls.
- When browned on one side, flip and brown the second side.
- Top with your fave burger fixings and enjoy
- If making burritos, first heat the tortillas in a fry pan until soft.
- Spread each formed ball along the centre of each tortilla.
- Fold ends in them roll the other two sides.
- Wrap each in foil until ready to cook.
- Heat bbq grill or grill pan and place each buritto on the grill.
- Cook for about 5 minutes per side.
- Carefully unwrap and serve with your fave toppings.
- If making 'meatballs', form bean/quinoa mixture into smaller balls and brown lightly in some cooking oil
- Serve on cooked pasta and heated marinara sauce.