Meatless Monday today Galley Peeps and I’m not even missing the meat. After all the celebrations and excesses of last month, something simple and healthy feels really good in our bellies.
Smashed chickpeas and some rich grated sweet potatoes make the base for these delicious burgers.
Even though tonight’s supper was served up like a traditional burger, these vegetarian patties are great on their own with a side salad or try serving them with your morning breakfast fry-up.
Look at all those servings of healthy vegetable and a spicy smear of Sriracha mayo.
Inspiration thanks to the Kitchn
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, finely grated
- ½ medium yellow onion, grated
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Oil for frying
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
- Pinch ground cumin
- Pinch salt
- Burger buns
- Lettuce, tomatoes for serving
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and smash with a spoon or fork until they form a course paste.
- Add sweet potato, onion, bread crumbs, egg, garlic and seasonings to the chickpeas and mix well.
- Form into equal sized balls.
- Place on heated grill or frying pan and flatten with your spatula.
- Cook until crusty and lightly browned.
- For Sriracha mayo, mix together the hot sauce and yogurt with cumin and salt.
- Toast burger buns.
- Serve with mayo, lettuce and tomatoes.