This was one of those ‘show stopper’ dinners. Not at all a gourmet-ish type of meal, made with lowly ground beef and a simple gravy, yet somehow when we sat down to dine and took that first bite….wow! The flavour of the gravy was amazing, the beef patties were surprisingly tender and that I had walked away four hours earlier to do other things made it such a treat.
Instead of using a packaged gravy mix, I made my own. MSG and other similar additives don’t agree with me so I try to avoid them if I can. Do it yourself mixes are so easy to throw together and for our summer boat life I bring with us quatities of my own concoctions. I’ve added my recipe for that in a separate printable recipe card below. The beef and chicken boullion that I use is MSG free.
Tonight, I served the beef and rich sauce with mashed potatoes but it’s also wonderful drizzled over eggs noodles.
inspiration for Salisbury Steak thanks to Holly from Spend with Pennies
inspiration for Gravy Mix thanks to Taste of Home
- 1½ lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ⅓ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1-2 tbsp cooking oil (I used grapeseed)
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp homemade gravy mix
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Combine beef, egg, minced onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Panko and form into 4 patties.
- In cook pot heat oil on 'brown' mode and saute patties about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove patties from pot and layer mushrooms and sliced onions in bottom of pot.
- Stir to combine with pattie juices.
- Place patties on top.
- Mix together beef broth, gravy mix, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and Dijon and pour over patties.
- Set cooker on low for 4 hours.
- Remove patties from pot.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water and stir into sauce.
- Set slow cooker on high and cook, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Return patties to sauce to reheat.
- Serve, sprinkled with fresh parsley.
- 3 tablespoons beef or chicken boullion granules
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- ¾ cup cold water
- Combine boullion, flour and pepper.
- Store in a dry food container until ready to use.
- To make gravy, melt butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in 2 tbsp mix and cook for a minute or two over low heat.
- Gradually whisk in water, strring until gravy thickens.
- Rebalance seasonings as required