The discussion we have every year around Christmas time is ‘to stuff’ or ‘not stuff’….the turkey…not our bellies. Stuffing the bird means a wonderfully flavourful result with all those juices infused into the bread crumbs but cooking is longer to make sure you don’t kill your guests and in my opinion, it tends to over-cook the turkey.
So this year the decision has been made to ‘not stuff’. Give a cheer for getting one thing made ahead! All the ingredients dumped into the pot, lid on, cook time four hours and voilà! Moist delicious stuffing. No bird in sight.
The scooping and freezing idea I got from a recent dinner we attended. So smart! I can make these yummy moisty ice cream scoop sized balls, stash them away in the freezer and pull out just what I need.
Simmer up or reheat some rich gravy (you know you can freeze that too don’t you?) and you are ready to dine. More options come to mind. You could add chopped cooked giblets or bits of cooked chicken or turkey to ‘meat’ it up a notch or you could ‘vegg’ it down and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Taste tester approved which leaves thirty four stuffing balls…more than enough for our upcoming family festivus.
The Best Slow Cooker Stuffing
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 2 Cups Chopped onion
- 2 Cups Chopped celery
- 2 Cups Chopped mushrooms
- 1 Tsp Ground pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Poultry seasoning
- 1/2 Tsp Sage
- 1 Tsp Marjoram
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 12 Cups Dried bread cubes *see Galley Notes
- 4 1/2 Cups Chicken stock
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- In a large fry pan melt butter.
- Throw in onion, celery and mushrooms, season the saute until the vegetables soften slightly. About five minutes
- Add the bread cubes to the slow cooker pot
- Spoon the vegetables over the bread crumbs
- Grandually add the stock over the entire mixture stirring to moisten. You may need a little less depending on the bread.
- Finally stir in the beaten eggs.
- Set the cooker on low for four hours. The time will depend on your brand of cooker so check toward the end. Mine was perfect and moist.
Galley Kat Notes:
- slow cooker - 6 litre is best
- ice cream scoop (optional)