When I received this recipe from Melina, I immediately thought comfort food. It’s simple in ingredients and preparation and reminds me of something a Gramma would make. And sure enough she mentioned it was a favourite recipe handed down from her Eastern-European Gramma to her Momma to her, a dish she falls back on time and time again. Oh the memories that must evoke!
So here I am at the beginning of spring, making what I would normally call a stick to your ribs wintery dish, but these aren’t normal times. We’re in self-isolation because of the COVID 19 virus out break and I happen to have all the main ingredients – cabbage, onion, carrots and noodles – ready to get my feed of pure comfort.
I made it as per her recipe but added a few little touches of my own. I omitted the pancetta and increased the butter. Yes, I know butter fat isn’t good for us but if you see the nutritional break down below, it’s not terrible. There’s something about butter fat that gives the best flavour. If you are worried about it, substitute olive oil. I also included some capers, green peas and garlic and splashed in some white wine and lemon juice to deglaze, topped it all with chopped parsley, some crumbled feta and a sprinkling of caraway seeds. So yummy! So comforting! Happy happy belly!
It was served one night as a stand alone main dish. Then I froze the leftovers, and on another night I served the remainder with some yummy meatballs….getting my full-meal protein on.
Thanks a bunch Melina for sending in this recipe. I hope your Gramma would approve the slight changes I made. Your recipe is locked away in my to-be-repeated-again-and-again vault.
- large frying pan
- saucepan for cooking noodles
- 8 Oz egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 medium cabbage Cored and shredded
- 1 cup Julienned carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp capers
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside
- In large saute pan melt butter and saute onions until they begin to caramelize
- Add carrots and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes to coat
- Add cabbage by the handful and continue to add as it begin to wilt and reduce
- Stir in seasonings, capers and peas then add wine to deglaze
- Finally dress with lemon juice and stir in cooked noodles
- Rebalance seasonings if needed and garnish with parsley, caraway seeds and crumbles of feta