We’ve both been a little ‘under the weather’ lately and were craving something warm, comforting and healing for supper tonight. Tortellini Soup (my favourite recipe here) always does it for me but I didn’t have any sausage on hand. Lots of carrots, spinach and celery but sadly, no tomatoes either. Two juicy lemons were substituted in and I think I now have a new favourite soup.
A little sautéing of vegetables first. The addition of lemon zest came next. Seven minutes to cook the tortellini in added broth. Fresh lemon juice, then spinach was steamed in the residual heat and we were ready to dive in.
A sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan is optional but it added that perfect bite. Feeling better already.
Inspiration thanks to the kitchn
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups chopped or sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups cheese tortellini (frozen ones or fresh)
- 1 celo package of fresh spinach, chopped
- Grated parmesan to garnish (optional)
- In large saucepan heat oil and saute carrots, celery and onion for about 5 minutes.
- Zest one of the lemons and add the zest to the pot.
- Pour in chicken broth and juice of the 2 lemons and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and cook until done according to package directions (mine were perfect after 7 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach, turn off heat and cover pot. The residual heat will steam the spinach.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan if using.