CHICKEN CARNITAS with ROASTED CORN SALSA
When I made pork carnitas the other day, we loved it so much that I felt I had to share the joy with my daughter. Well, even though I said she could make it with ‘happy pork’ (her words for free range, no hormone etc etc), she politely responded with a firm ‘no thank you’ but couldn’t I make it with happy chicken?. So thanks to my little darling I can now say with certainty that these are just as delicious as the pork version (recipe here) …free range, grain-fed and all.
Of course I repeated the roasted corn salsa (recipe here)
I had some leftover Irish Whiskey Sauce from our rib feast (recipe here) but you could use some of the reserved cooking liquid to coat the shredded meat before grilling or use your fave barbecue sauce if you wish.
I served it on a bed of fluffy rice but wouldn’t this be great with tacos or tortillas? It makes 4 generous servings from just one large chicken breast so it’s very economical too. We were real oinkers tonight and gobbled up every last morsel….just the two of us.
I know you will be reading this, my daughter, and you gotta try this recipe!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1- ½ tsp. ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp. chile powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into 2" peces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1½ cups fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup of your favourite sauce (optional if not using cooking liquid
- Cooked rice (optional)
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl and coat well with pepper, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- In pressure cooker pot heat oil and saute onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add chicken, oregano, cinnamon stick, orange juice and lime juice.
- Set cooker on high for 7 minutes.
- Note: I don't brown the chicken pieces first so as not to overcook the meat.
- Let the pressure release normally for 5 minutes then carefully finish with quick release.
- Remove chicken from liquid and shred with 2 forks.
- Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid if using.
- Toss chicken well in liquid or sauce.
- Spread on a baking sheet or grill pan and grill or broil until edges of the meat begin to crisp
- Serve on a bed of fluffy rice with a helping of roasted corn salsa.