DECONSTRUCTED EGG ROLLS (stove top version)
What to cook for dinner when time is tight and you’re craving something tasty, quick and Asian? To make this one quicker I cut out the middle man so to speak….the egg roll wrappers. I’ve made Deconstructed Egg Rolls before but in the pressure cooker (link to recipe below) but we are in the process of moving land homes and have left my pressure cooker on the boat. And we got caught in Montreal traffic and Francois had his weekly condo meeting at 6:00 so I ended up with very little time to throw on supper.
I had some ground pork and a package of cole slaw mix in the refrigerator, a couple of green onions and a can of water chestnuts. Tossed together with some seasonings and withing 5 minutes I was scooping dinner onto our plates. No kidding! 5 minutes!
I had some of my Dragon Sauce on hand to stir into the mix but honestly the seasonings with a healthy splash of Bragg were more that enough (recipe for my Dragon Sauce here). If you want some extra ‘heat’ drizzle with a little sriracha sauce.
More of my ‘deconstucted’ meals
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls here,
Unstuffed Stuffed Peppers here ,
and my pressure cooker version of Deconstructed Egg Rolls recipe here
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 green onions, sliced (reserve some of the green parts to garnish)
- 1 garlic clove, grated (or garlic powder to taste)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger (or ground ginger to taste)
- 1 package of cole slaw mix
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Bragg soya seasoning or your fave soya sauce
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Sriracha sauce for garnish (optional)
- Heat oils in wok or saucepan.
- Add ground pork, onions, garlic and ginger and saute lightly for about 1 minute.
- Top with cole slaw mix and stir to combine.
- Drizzle with soya sauce and a few tbsp water.
- Reduce heat to low medium, cover and steam for about 4 minutes or until slaw veggies are cooked but still crispy.
- Plate and garnish with sesame seeds, onion greens and a swirl of sriracha if using.