Being the frugal Galley Kat that I am, I really really needed to use up the remains of my muffuletta sandwich ingredients ( MUFFULETTA – sandwich of the Cajun Gods) Some deli meat. Some tasty olive salad. Some provolone cheese. And I just happened to have some extra ground chicken that I was using for a little Butter Chicken meatball affair that I’ve been working on.
Then someone asked for my Muffuletta bread recipe so I typed that up and posted it (MUFFULETTA – sandwich of the Cajun Gods )…and then I had this brain flash. Wouldn’t this make super tasty meat balls. Such a scattered Galley Kat!
Serve with your favourite side dish – mashed potatoes, a crisp salad or as we did today with some very tasty Haluski (my recipe here)
- Mixing bowl
- Omnia stove top oven (for the ovenless)
- 8 silicone muffin cups (If using the Omnia stove top)
- Small baking pan (for conventional oven users)
- 1 lb ground chicken ground pork or beef can be substituted
- 2 oz deli meat chopped
- 2 oz provolone cheese cut into small cubes or shredded. Other cheese like mozzarella, havarti or cheedar are also good.
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup olive mixture I used a mix of chopped green olives, kalamata olives and some chopped artichokes. Also see the link above for my Muffuletta sandwich for ideas of what to use.
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients, mixing well with clean hands
- Divide mixture into 8 meatballs.
Omnia stove top users
- Add meatballs into silicone muffin cups and place in Omnia baking pan. Cover and set on pre-heated base plate.
- Cook on high for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for about 15-20 minutes.
Conventional oven users
- Place meatballs on prepared baking pan and cook in pre-heated 425 ° oven for about 20 minutes or until well browned and cooked through.
- Crisp salad, mashed potatoes, haluski, or on a bed of buttered noodles.