Subscribe by emailGet my latest recipes delivered directly to your inbox
I’m loving this sandwich/salad combo that was inspired by one of our recent meal delivery recipes. The sweet fig jam, ooy gooy creamy cheese and toasty crispy bread was a sensory delight. Then you have the tangy/sweet-ish salad dressing over fresh greens. But what drove it over the top was the addition of crispy mushrooms that have been tossed, then grilled in parmesan and bread crumbs. Heavenly perfection.
Just a few easy steps, beginning with slicing the mushrooms, then tossing in some oil and the parmesan crumb mixture. Set these on the grill while you prepare the rest.
I like the French way of whisking the vinaigrette ingredients right in the salad bowl. This way everything is ready to toss just before serving and you save having to wash an extra bowl.
Now’s the time to check those mushrooms, giving them a little stir so they can crisp up well. Back to prepping, spread both sides of the bread with jam. Top one side with slices of cheese and you’re ready to grill.
Paint both sides of the sandwich with some mayonnaise and toast away.
Perfectly timed, you are now ready to add the greens to the dressing. Toss in the crispy mushrooms. Slice that perfectly browned sandwich. Done and done. Time to dine.
Galley Kat Note:
I’m trying out a new recipe template which allows unit conversion from US to Metric. Because most of my readers are US based and because here in Canada (and for most people my age) we became accustomed to flipping back and forth between the two systems and now with internet it’s so easy to ‘google’ the conversions. But because I’ve also had a few requests recently about converting to metric I thought I’d give it a try. It’s still too early to tell if I will continue with it but please feel free to chime in with comments…pros or cons are all welcome. Thanks
Simple with a touch of sweet and fancy grilled cheese. Add to this fresh greens topped with tasty crispy mushrooms for a complete meal.
1. Slice mushrooms, toss with about 1 tbsp olive oil, bread crumbs, Parmesan and 1 tbsp chopped rosemary leaves.
2. Spread mixture evenly on a grill pan lined with parchement paper and grill on your barbecue or in a pre-heated 425 ° F oven until browned and crispy, stirring half way through. Be careful not to crowd or the mushrooms will steam instead of crisping.
3. In salad bowl whisk together 1 tbsp jam, 1 tbsp chopped rosemary leaves, balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spread remaining jam on the four slices of bread.
5. Thinly slice cheese and divide between two bread slices.
6. Form the sandwiches and brush each side with mayonnaise.
7. On heated grill pan toast sandwiches on both sides until nicely browned and cheese is melted. Slice in two
8. Toss arugula with vinairgrette. Add mushrooms and toss again.
9. Place sliced sandwiches on serving plates and divide salad evenly between the two.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.