WHITE CLAM PIZZA
I know what some of you may be thinking…clam pizza???…Well, I have to tell you, unless you have tried it, you have no idea just what you are missing
With visitors from away, we are always looking for new places to visit. Like playing tourist in our own back yard. A wine tour was on this day’s outing and after some most enjoyable tasting at one vineyard, we had lunch at another. Their New Haven Clam Pizza grabbed my attention. So with some freshly cracked pepper, a squeeze of lemon and my first bite, just for a moment, the world stopped. Those simple flavours, the wood-fired crust, the hint of garlic…oh my, it was good!
Guess what my next “Friday is Pizza night” pizza was? Yep! White Clam Pizza. Now this is outside my usual Galley creation because you really do need an oven…sorry Omnia stove top users. You could of course fire up your BBQ for this but today’s offering from me to you is for oven users.
The dough will behave a lot better it you have it at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. It’s like a petulant child that needs some time to calm down and come to your way of thinking. A little stretch and pull, then come back in a while a give another tug to get that ‘almost’ perfect circle. Also, give the clams time to get to know the fresh garlic and olive oil before dotting over the cheese.
I hope conventional oven users try and enjoy today’s creation. For you Omnia users, I do believe that what can be made in an oven can also be produced with similar results stove top. It’s just that I haven’t tried this pizza yet. I would suggest trying using a parchment lined rack and maybe dividing the dough into small rounds. Or use pre-made little flat breads and top with fixings. Much less cooking time for sure.
As always, many thanks for stopping by. Before you go you may like to try out some of my past pizza creations. There are many, because with this crew, pizza is our favourite food group…
…beginning with my tried-and-true-never-failed-me-yet GALLEY PIZZA DOUGH
SIMPLIFIED HALIFAX DONAIR PIZZA
THREE CHEESE PIZZA with CARAMELIZED ONIONS and GRILLED PEACHES
…peace and love…
White Clam Pizza
- 2 12” pizza pans Or one large baking sheet
- 2 small mixing bowls
- Cheese grater
- 16 Oz pizza dough enough for 2 12” pizzas
- flour for rolling out dough
- 1 Can baby clams drained with 2 tbsp juice reserved
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp oregano Italian seasoning is fine too
- 1/2 Tsp crushed chilis
- salt and pepper a grind or two is enough for this one
- 1/2 Cup shredded Parmesan divided
- 1 Cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 Cup shredded provolone
- 1/4 Cup corn meal for dusting pizza pans
- lemon wedges for serving
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1 Clove garlic minced
- 2 Tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 Tsp pepper
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- Remove pizza dough from refrigerator at least 1 hour before preparing
- Heat oven to 450 ° F while you prepare the rest.
- While dough is having a little rest, mix drained clams, reserved juice,garlic, olive oil and seasonings together in small bowl and set aside
- Mix cheeses together, reserving 1/4 cup of Parmesan to sprinkle on top before baking.
- Sprinkle corn meal or each pan
- Divide pizza dough in two and roll out or stretch on floured surface to fit 2 prepared pizza pans then lift and place over corn mealed pans
- Divide the cheese between to two pans and sprinkle evenly over dough.
- Dot the clam mixture evenly over cheese
- Top with a sprinkling of Parmesan. Of course you can always add more cheese if you wish.
- Bake in hot oven for 10 -12 minutes or until crust is golden brown
- Mix all ingredients together and set aside while pizza bakes. If you would like it to be more of a drizzle, stir in more lemon juice, 1 tbsp at a time until you find the right consistency.
- Cut pizza into serving sized pieces
- Serve with a drizzle of aioli, a grind or three of cracked pepper and a gentle squeeze of lemon