EASY SHRIMP PAELLA (pressure cooker version)
I hope you don’t feel inundated with my latest flurry of blog posts. I’ve not been inspired to write much lately…that is until this week. So many recipe successes have given me the push I needed during this winter down time. While Francois uses his latest purchase to evacuate a blocked gutter, a fibreglass ladder (note the very cool orange colour) and shovels our first real east coast snow storm results,
I’m here inside a steamy warm kitchen creating and writing up some new things for you to try. This lastest has become a post purely by accident. Thrown together in haste because our dinner plans had changed last minute. I checked my database and came up with one that fit with what I had on hand.
Some rice – check
Some shrimp – check
Some veggies – check
Some spices – the basics but I think this is what really took this dish from quick and easy to amazing, quick and easy.
A few minutes of chopping veggies etc, a little sautéing and can you believe it? FIVE minutes cooking under pressure. FIVE. When the pressure cooker beeped, my first instinct was to think I hadn’t set the correct time. Barely had time to set the table.
A word here about safety of this useful appliance. Please, please, PLEASE be careful when venting the steam if you are doing a quick realease or when removing the lid once the pin has dropped indicating it’s safe to do so. There is still steam coming from the pot and even though it’s no longer ‘under pressure’, it’s HOT.
Something this good…rice perfectly cooked, amazing seasonings and shrimp so juicy and succulent…five minutes.
Enjoy while I go and finish a few more posts that have been hanging in the wings.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, chopped, about ½ to ¾ cup
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 generous pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp tumeric
- ¼-1 tsp dried chilis
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup white rice (I used basmati)
- About 1 lb of deveined peeled shrimp, or enough to serve 4 (24-36 depending on the size)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- Chopped parsely to garnish
- Special equipment: pressure cooker with brown/sauté option
- Set cooker on brown or saute mode.
- Melt butter and saute onion and garlic for a couple of minutes until soft.
- Add red pepper and saute for another minute.
- Add peas and saute for another minute.
- Add seasonings and rice and continue to saute for two more minutes.
- Deglaze with wine then pour in broth making sure it’s enough to cover rice.
- Turn off brown mode and top rice mixture with shrimp.
- Place lid over cooker and set to pressure cooking for 5 minutes.
- When five minutes is up, wait 5 minutes then carefully release the remaining pressure.
- Plate and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Thanks to My Forking Life for the inspiration