Digging into my stash of Friend’s Faves submissions, I found this delicious recipe for easy butter chicken from Ginny, using ground chicken made into tender juicy little meatballs, floating in a buttery tasting tomato sauce. The surprise was how buttery it all tasted with only a small amount of butter added at the end.
This would be the perfect time to try making the meatballs, blenditarian style. Never heard of it? Well, it’s a great way to cut down on meat while still enjoying meat. Good for your health. Good for your pocket book. Good for the environment. Win/win! Head over to one of my favourite recipes to see what it’s all about: RITA’S ROMANIAN MEATBALLS w/TOMATO SOUP SAUCE for an explanation. Or you may also want to try my BLENDED PIGS in BLANKETS with ORANGE CRANBERRY DIPPING SAUCE, the perfect little appetizer for upcoming holiday celebrations.
I’ve also included a couple of my easy to make naan/pita/flat bread recipes here for you. Super easy to make stove top and perfect just in case you have a hunger for a quick supper-time grilled pizza or a lunch-time sandwich wrap.
In the Galley Kat Note section of the recipe card below, I have included my vegetarian version of Ginny’s recipe for you. Quite often when we were on the boat for months at a time, keeping a block of tofu onboard allowed for an easy protein-rich dinner option without having to keep meat in our cooler. Also if you are lucky enough to find tetra packed tofu, you don’t need to refrigerate until opened, a huge bonus for tiny living. The tofu works really well with the tasty rich sauce for this recipe and I can promise you won’t even miss the meat.
Thanks so much Ginny for sharing this recipe. In my precious data base of easy-to-make-economical recipes this will be joining us for sure for our future land-based adventures next year.
Ginny’s Butter Chicken Meatballs
- Large saute pan
- Mixing bowl
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 14-oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Cooked rice and naan bread for serving
- In a mixing bowl, add ingredients for meatballs combining well
- Form into small meatballs
- Heat oil in saute pan and cook meatballs until juices run clean. Remove from saute pan and set aside
For butter sauce
- In same saute pan (I didn’t wipe it out, reserving some of the chicken juices and coconut oil), cook onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the sauce seasoning and saute for another minute or two.
- Stir in coconut milk and tomato paste and simmer gently until sauce thickens - another 2-3 minutes
- Stir in yogurt and butter and adjust seasonings if needed
- Add meatballs back in sauce and stir until well coated and heated through.
- Serve over cooked rice with a generous squeeze of lime and a side of naan for dipping in the delicious sauce
Galley Kat Notes:
- Combine 1 tbsp cornstarch, ½ tsp garam masala, ¼ tsp ground ginger, ¼ tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp curry powder. Add 1 block firm tofu (pressed and torn into bite-sized pieces for texture) and stir until well combined, then set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in fry pan and when hot add tofu, stirring until nicely browned and crisped. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make sauce as per above directions.
- When ready to dine add tofu to sauce and gently stir on low to heat through.
- Serve as above over rice or other grains with a squeeze of lime and a side of naan bread.