CHEESY POTATO CAKES
I’m all about making it easy on myself in my little galley. Leftovers used to be considered a four letter word to me but now I purposely make extra so that there will be enough for another meal. Quite often what was leftover from an evening meal will become the next day’s breakfast.
In the case of this next recipe I had made enough mashed potatoes to be transformed into tasty potato cakes.
And since this recipe produces at least 12 potato cakes you can make enough for tonight’s dinner and the rest can be used for maybe tomorrow’s breakfast cook-up. I quite often will add some canned tuna or mackerel to the mix for delicious fish cakes. Economy of efforts.
Tonight we enjoyed them with this warm scallop salad (recipe here)
- 4 cups mashed potato
- ¾ cup chopped, crispy bacon
- 1 cup grated aged cheddar
- 2 tbsp chopped pickled Jalapeños
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1-2 cups panko
- Oil for cooking
- Mix all ingredients except the panko crumbs in a large bowl.
- Scoop up about ⅓ cup of the mixture and form into balls.
- Roll each ball in panko crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and drop the balls one by one into the hot oil. Cook in batches so as not to crowd.
- Flatten the balls into cakes and cook until crispy brown on each side.
- Set aside and keep warm while you cook the remaining cakes.
- This recipe makes about 12 cakes so if you wish you can make only what's needed for your meal and keep the rest refrigerated until ready to use.