Recently when doing some searching for more easy onboard recipes using Jiffy Cornbread, I came across several recipes for Cowboy Casserole. I had made a couple of batches of my own clone mix for making Cornbread (recipe here) to bring onboard so thought, why not make this into a Sailor’s Casserole instead using our Omnia stove-top oven?…afterall, Captain prepared our last two dinners, it’s time for the Galley Kat to pull her weight.
- Omnia stove top oven
- Sauce pan
- 1 recipe Jiffy Cornbread
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeño seeds removed and minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 1 tin salmon liquid included
- 1 cup cooked potatoes I used a tin of small potatoes, drained and quartered
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Make the Jiffy according to directions and set aside.
- Sauté vegetables in cooking oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the salmon.
- Add the potatoes and mash a few with the back of the cooking spoon. This will help thicken the liquid
- Stir in milk and beaten egg.
- Spoon mixture into prepared Omnia baking pan. Top the mixture evenly with Cornbread mix. Cover and set on pre-heated base plate on high for five minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for another 40-45 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and crispy