Hi there folks. I realize that I’ve been a wee bit absent lately. I get that way sometimes, feeling my inspiration lacking but every time I start thinking about spring and what form it might take – specifically, picking up our little land trawler, RED II camper extrordinaire – I get motivated.
Planning is my thing and at the moment I’m making lists of what we’ll need. Making mood boards is an easy way to visualize the ‘look’. You should see my Amazon wish list folders and every once in a while I order a thing or three. Since I have most of what we’ll need for my little land galley because of our past boating life, my focus has been our bathroom. Bath towels and a shower curtain with a few bits and pieces to organize should be here in time for spring staging. Nothing at all to do with recipes of course….just really excited about this next stage of our lives and wanted to share.
I’ve also been working on dining on the road lists and menus and concocting mixes that can be transformed into a variety of options….such as this next recipe for Corn Muffin Mix.
Little cornmeal muffins are super easy and went so well with a pot of my veggie chilli. They also are a fun and quick breakfast, warmed, buttered and smeared with a touch of butter, served with a couple of strips of crispy bacon. My Mom used to call it Johnny Cake and would sometimes serve it for a light supper and a healthy drizzle of maple syrup. Another time I added some chopped jalapeños, crumbled feta and sun-dried tomatoes and baked them stove top because that will likely be my way to go when on the road this summer.
The muffins were the main reason for the creating the mix but then, I had a recipe for chick pea stew with dumplings and I thought the mix would make a tasty addition instead of basic dough dumplings and wow!…were they ever good. F commented without prompt that this was definitely a keeper. I loved how the addition of cornmeal added not only more flavour but a subtle texture to the dumplings…the perfect compliment to my veggie stew. I’ll post that stew recipe next so you have it to save separately.
More mixes for you to try..
Corn Muffin Mix
- Muffin tins (for the conventional oven users)
- Omnia stove top oven (for the ovenless)
- Silicone muffin cups or the muffin insert for Omnia users
For make-ahead mix
- 1 1/4 cups corn meal
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
When ready to bake
- 1/2 cup melted butter or neutral oil like grapeseed or avocado
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk or milk substitute like oatmilk
For the mix
- Mix flour, corn meal, baking powder, sugar and salt together and store in an air tight container until ready to use.
When ready to bake
- Whisk eggs and milk together then stir in cooled melted butter
- Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring until there is no evidence of dry ingredients
- Scoop mixture into prepared muffin cups (about two thirds full)
For conventional oven users
- Bake muffins in preheated 350 ° oven for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned and tooth-pick test comes out clean
For Omnia stove top users
- Place covered baking pan on preheated base plate and cook for 5 minutes on high
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for another 10-12 minutes or until tooth-pick test comes out clean