CINNAMON SWIRL CAKE
On a roll my Galley friends. Two blog posts in two weeks. I think my deep blue funk is now a thing of the past. Spring weather has a lot to do with it I’m sure…plus we recently de-winterized our little land trawler, RED II and spent the weekend aboard. We are in lock down because of a nasty out-break of COVID in our east coast province and my daughter wanted a place to space-out (read all about it here), so we let then take over our house. To keep within the current Public Health protocols we kept separate from them totally self-sufficient in our super duper camper.
This gave me a big boost to start creating some new easy recipes to share with you all. I used my easy cake mix recipe to produce this one and it turned out so well. Made with my Galley Cake Mix it’s easy to keep on hand. Split in two lots, half fits perfectly into the Omnia stove top oven, leaving the other half of the dry mix for another time.
Very moist. Perfect fit for the Omnia stove top oven. And because it makes enough for several servings, I can freeze portions for when we are actually able to be on the road….whenever that might be.
This recipe is perfect as is. A touch of cinnamony sweetness in every bite. I can see maybe stirring in some chopped apple or thin slices of banana into the main batter. Maybe add a handful of seeds or nuts with a few raisins or dried cranberries.
Now that I am installed in my new ‘office’ (aka our camper), I’m motivated to create more recipes for you. Come back soon to see what I’ve been cooking up. Stay well, all of you.
Peace and love!
Cinnamon Swirl Cake
- Omnia stove top oven (for the ovenless)
- Small round or square cake pan (for conventional oven users)
- Mixing bowl
- 1/2 box cake mix prepared according to instructions (or try my own Galley Kat Cake Mix
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Prepare cake mix according to directions
- Mix cinnamon, cracker crumbs, butter and brown sugar together in a small bowl
- Place half the cake batter in prepared baking pan
- Sprinkle half the cinnamon mixture over top then take a knife and swirl it gently through the batter
- Add the rest of the cake batter and smooth over as evenly as possible then sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon mixture
For Omnia stove top users
- Cover baking pan, set on pre-heated base plate and cook on high for five minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking until tooth pick test comes out clean, about 20-25 minute
For conventional oven users
- Bake in a preheated 350 ° oven for about 25 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm, room temperature or any time you want a touch of sweet. Perfect with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. Cream cheese icing is especially nice smeared on top or enjoy just plain as is.