TEX MEX RISOTTO with bonus TEX MEX SPICE MIX
Here’s a tasty one for you Galley Peeps. It was inspired by one of our home delivery plant-based meals. A simple risotto with a Tex Mex flair.
You’ve probably noticed that I’m big on making my own spice mixes. For one thing, in my tiny galley there’s precious little space for a gazillion spice containers. And we do love our Mexican type foods so this Tex Mex combo has become a favourite.
We love a little heat too so I usually make it up with the full teaspoon of cayenne but for those more sensitive pallates you can dial it down to a quarter of that.
Tex Mex Spice Mix
- 1/4 Cup Chili powder
- 4 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Ground ginger
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Onion powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp Dried thyme
- 1 Tsp Cayenne More or less
- Mix all ingredients together and store in a cool dry place
Tex Mex Risotto
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 1 Small Jalapeno pepper Seeds removed and chopped
- 1 Red pepper Chopped
- 1 Cup Corn
- 2 Tsp Tex Mex spice mix
- 1 Cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 Cup Beer I used Corons
- 4 Cups Broth Chicken or vegetable
- 1 Cup Pepper Jack cheese Shredded
- 1 Handful Parsley Chopped. You could substitute with cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and saute onion and garlic until fragrant
- Add jalapeno, pepper and corn and saute for another couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle spice mix over mixture and stir to combine.
- Add rice and continue to saute to gently toast the rice.
- Deglaze with beer
- Add broth a couple of ladles full at a time, stirring and continuing to cook until almost completely absorbed.
- Keep adding broth and stirring until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted and combined.
- At the very end add parsley then scoop into serving bowls.