REFRIED BEAN SOUP
Good day to you my Galley Friends. Within a week we will be heading out on our first of the year camping trip. We aren’t going too far but it will be good to check out another part of our beautiful east coast province…this time, the eastern shore.
I don’t have a lot to do to make our RV travel ready but I have been trying to put together menus with meals easy to prep so we can spend more time out and about. Which brings me to today’s recipe. Refried Bean Soup. Super easy to put together. Just a few ingredients and the Mexican vibe with some nachos chips for dipping and salty feta crumbled on top was very satisfying.
A can of commercial refried beans is perfectly fine for this or if you feel a little more ambitious you can make your own. My recipe here. This one makes a lot but refried beans can be frozen. Simply package them in convenient quantities for future use. They thaw quickly and are perfect for a quick tortilla burrito.
A small can of diced tomatoes can be substituted for fresh. I used fresh in this mainly because I had one fairly large one looking kind of lonely all by itself. Canned corn (drained), frozen or fresh off the cob is a matter of choice. With seasoning, you can spice it up as much as you like or keep it mild.
It makes four decent sized servings and is very filling but we were both really hungry so went back to fill our bowls a second time. No leftovers for this Galley Kat today.
Thanks for stopping by and while you’re waiting for my return, here are more of our fave soups for you to try…
HOT and SOUR SMOTHERED CABBAGE and RICE SOUP
CREAMY LEMONY CHICKEN and WILD GRAIN SOUP
PARSNIP CARROT CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
SOPA NEGRA (Costa Rican Black Bean Soup)
…and my go-to recipe for creamed soups…
GALLEY CREAM OF ‘WHATEVER’ SOUP
…peace and love…
Refried Bean Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Cup corn kernels canned and drained or frozen
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 chopped, seeded green pepper
- 1 chopped seeded jalapeño
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 1 Tsp chili
- 1 Tsp thyme
- 1-2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 Can refried beans or 1 1/2 cups homemade
- 1 Cup water or broth
- 2 Tbsp lime juice plus wedges for serving
- salt and pepper to taste
for serving add-ons
- nacho chips
- sliced olives
- chopped avocado
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- shredded cheese or crumble feta
- extra lime wedges
- Heat oil in saucepan and add onions, sautéing until softened.
- I like adding the corn next, turning up the heat a bit to gently char the kernels. This brings out a smokey sweetness.
- Next add the garlic, chopped pepper and jalapeno and continue to saute until softened.
- Add the spices and cook another minute or so to toast them and mix well with the veggies.
- Stir in the refried beans and broth, add the lime juice and rebalance the seasoning with some salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and top with suggested add-ons listed above.