SAVOURY SMOTHERED CABBAGE GALETTE
Good day to you all. I have for you my third and final recipe for using Smothered Cabbage. In case you missed number one and two you can click back for them here SONJA’S KALPUDDING (Swedish Meatloaf) and here HOT and SOUR SMOTHERED CABBAGE and RICE SOUP.
So now on to today’s bit of deliciousness….
With another 4 cups of Smothered Cabbage you can create this rather fancy looking tart with very little effort. It makes just enough for a light supper for two. I had already dined earlier this afternoon so made just one tart for my husband’s supper. F’s reaction with a big thumbs up before he even finished his first bite made me smile.
A super, I mean SUPER easy recipe that looks so elegant and very guest worthy made it worth a repeat with that last 2 cups of cabbage and the second sheet of pastry for a brunch get together the next day.
Feel free to swap types of cheese. Sharp cheddar, Swiss or Gruyere would be a good choice but I found the smokey Gouda was the perfect compliment to the subtle sweetness of the cabbage. The salty bite of the feta and the crispy flakey crunch of pastry made it pure heaven.
I also tried this out in my Omnia stove top oven and it worked equally as well although arranging the pastry was a little trickier for me trying to make it attractive and to a lesser degree the finished results weren’t as golden brown. I tried a modified version and used the Omnia muffin insert to make little appetizer portions and loved the results. The whole lot of twelve was scarfed down in minutes by F and a friend who had dropped by for a visit.
Savoury Smothered Cabbage Galette
- cookie sheet (for conventional oven users
- Omnia stove top oven (for the ovenless)
- 2 Sheets frozen puff pastry
- 8 Slices smoked gouda cheese
- 4 Cups smothered cabbage
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 Cup feta cheese
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Thaw pastry for at least 30 minutes on the counter or overnight in the fridge then unroll each onto baking sheet.
- Arrange 4 cheese slices on each pastry
- Scoop 2 cups of cabbage evenly over the cheese, keeping clear of the pastry edges
- Starting at one corner of the pastry and fold in over the filling. Keep folding in around the galette creating an octagonal shape.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with milk
for conventional oven users
- Bake in a preheated 400 ° oven for about 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle crumbled feta over the exposed cabbage of you galette then return to oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut each in portions and serve.
for Omnia stove top oven users
- Cut and lay pastry sheet in Omnia baking pan, overlapping the edges as best you can
- Lay cheese slice on bottom breaking up or cutting to fit.
- Scoop 2 cups of Smothered Cabbage evenly over cheese
- Fold in edges of pastry, pinching or crimping around the perimeter of the pan
- Lightly brush edges with milk
- Cover pan and place on preheated base plate and cook on high for 5 minutes
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and sprinkle top with feta, return lid and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until pastry has nicely puffed and feta has begun to soften and melt.