It’s been difficult for us as retired folk to keep track of the passing days. When I ask Francois what day it is, he usually responds with the month or the season. The only reason we keep track if it’s a weekend or not is to avoid having to face overpopulated markets and shopping centres and frustrating traffic jams. But I do miss our after work Friday rituals though. It was the one day when we would put aside all the weekday stress and pour a glass or two of something, kick back and relax. And it was also a no-cooking zone for this Galley Kat. I could make things in advance and reheat but as chief cook, it was my night off. So now that we are back on land for the next few months I’m bringin’ back Friday Happy Hour!
To start it off well, I thought a refreshing sangria would be pleasant. Lots of fresh berries, mint leaves, ginger and lime.
Some cranberry juice
…and when ready to serve, topped up with a bottle of our fave bubbly. For a ‘virgin’ option, ginger ale or 7-up could be substituted. This would make an excellent beverage to serve for your holiday festivities.
To your health Galley Peeps!
- Fresh mint, about 12 leaves,
- Fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into discs, about 12 or so
- 4-6 slices of lime
- 2 cups mixed fresh fruit (blueberries, cranberries, cherries, raspberries)
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 bottle sparkling wine, cider or champagne (ginger ale or 7-up could be substituted)
- In serving pitcher place mint, ginger, lime and berries.
- With the handle of a wooden spoon or muddler, smash the mixture to release juices and flavours.
- Pour in cranberry juice and chill for several hours.
- When ready to serve top up with sparkling wine.
- Serve chilled over ice