HALLOWEEN HAPPY HOUR
Now that we are back on land for the ‘pre-spring’ season
(‘winter’ has been obliterated from our vocabulary)
I’m bringing back Friday Happy Hour.
It will be the one day each week when instead of Galley Kat making supper,
we will enjoy snack-y type foods
usually made in advance….
…and drinks of course.
I saw a picture of a great Fall-inspired cheese ball on Pinterest
and thought it the perfect Halloween Happy Hour treat…
I pulled out my 60’s style cheese ball recipe,
added some spicy bits
and transformed it into a little pumpkin.
Double the recipe for more servings.
It makes a great take-along for your next raft-up
or land-based party.
CHEESY HALLOWEEN BALL
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup aged cheddar
1 Jalapeno, minced
1 tbsp salsa
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup crushed nacho chips (the orange ones – flavour of your choice)
1 top of a green pepper
Mix cheeses, Jalapeno, salsa and cumin together
to form a smooth mix.
Scoop mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap
and pull up plastic all around the cheese to form a ball.
Refrigerate until firm and ready to use.
Crush nacho chips to fine crumbs.
Placing the chips in a food bag makes the clean-up easier.
Let’s keep this boat-authentic and use
a wine bottle to roll instead of that space hog rolling pin.
Roll cheese ball in the chips and top with green pepper hat.
Serve with more nachos and your favourite crackers.
Now for the drinks…
BLOOD THIRSTY CAESAR SHRIMP SHOOTERS
(emphasis on the ‘thirsty’ – it’s been a busy week)
24 oz Clamato juice, chilled
12 oz vodka
(in our land home we keep it in the freezer,
a luxury we don’t have on the water)
1 tsp ground celery seed
1tbps hot sauce (our choice sriracha)
1 tbps Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp horseradish
sea salt & ground pepper to taste
8 cooked jumbo shrimp
1 tbsp lime juice
sprinkle ground celery seed
celery sticks for garnish
Mix all drink ingredients together
Chill until ready to use
Toss shrimp in lime juice and celery seed.
Serve over ice
inspired by FoodNetwork
HALLOWEEN HAPPY HOUR
Author: Galley Kat
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup aged cheddar
- 1 Jalapeno, minced
- 1 tbsp salsa
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup crushed nacho chips (the orange ones - flavour of your choice)
- 1 top of a green pepper
- Mix cheeses, Jalapeno, salsa and cumin together
- to form a smooth mix.
- Scoop mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap
- and pull up plastic all around the cheese to form a ball.
- Refrigerate until firm and ready to use.
- Crush nacho chips to fine crumbs
- Placing the chips in a food bag makes the clean-up easier.
- Let's keep this boat-authentic and use
- a wine bottle to roll instead of that space hog rolling pin.
- Roll cheese ball in the chips and top with green pepper hat.
- Serve with more nachos and your favourite crackers