ROASTED CAULIFLOWER with HOMEMADE HUMMUS
Imagine, if you will, perfectly roasted and lightly spiced cauliflower nestled in a puddle of creamy lemony hummus. Well right here is where imagination becomes reality.
I was feeling inspired with my recent creation using Urfa Biber, my latest spice obsession and decided to continue this love story to throw together (almost literally) something plant-based for supper tonight. Here is the link and where I found my urfa biber supply: SUPER YUMMY LEMONY PASTA with CHICK PEAS and SCALLOPS
Making my own hummus is a no-brainer. In literally minutes I can blender up a heavenly dip perfect for fresh vegetable (or finger) dunking. Why on earth would I buy the ready made version, I ask myself? I can spice it up any way I like. Swirl a spoonful or two through steamy pasta. Spread on sandwiches. Let me count the ways. I’ve listed my favourite hummus creations for you below.
Standing here in my land galley looking at this container of creaminess, that little hamster in my head started spinning on its wheel. I’ve wanted to branch out more using my Omnia. Sheet pan roasting makes for a super easy meal so why not see if I can come close to similar results using my little stove top miracle.
The results were the perfect marriage of ease, flavour and economy and no super heated conventional oven which I must admit far too often sets off our ultra sensitive smoke alarm. Granted, there wasn’t the crisp charred bits that you get from oven roasting but I kept the heat fairly high through out for a similar effect. Cook time was faster too. Oh and that hit of Urfa Biber – simply divine!
As presented above, this is a wonderful topping for your favourite hummus recipe but is equally as delicious topping some buttery hummus smeared noodles with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
…peace and love…
- Mixing bowl
- Omnia stove top oven (for the ovenless)
- roasting pan or cookie sheet (for conventional oven users)
- 4 Cups cauliflower florets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp pepper
- 1 Tsp Urfa Biber (optional) cayenne or cried chilis can be substituted
- In mixing bowl toss all ingredients making sure the cauliflower is well coated
for conventional oven users
- Spread cauliflower evenly over entire pan trying not to crowd pieces
- Roast in preheated 425 ° oven for about 15 minutes. Stir then continue to roast for an additional 10 minutes
for Omnia stove top users
- Spread dressed cauliflower pieces evenly in the prepared Omnia pan. The silicone insert makes clean-up easier but it’s not entirely necessary. You may have to cook in two batches so as not to crowd.
- Cover and place on preheated base plate and cook on high for five minutes
- Reduce heat to medium and cooked for ten minutes. Uncover and toss pieces. Recover and continue to cook for about five minutes. Note that you won’t get the crispy roasted results as with conventional oven roasting but the flavours will be wonderful and rich.