NO BAKE BLUEBERRY CHEESE CAKE PARFAITS
Hello my Galley Friends. The weather here lately has been fabulous and I’ve been itching to go camping. But with so many chores to complete before the summer months (oh the joys of home ownership!), I’ve had to rail in my need to scratch that itch. Garden has to go in. Spring cleaning a must. Downstairs bathroom and laundry area is in the beginning stages of renovation. The list goes on and on.
But I haven’t forgotten about you (or my culinary plans for being away). When I was out with some friends the other day we stopped at a restaurant in the Annapolis Valley. For dessert I ordered one of their mini cheesecakes and it came served in the cutest little mason jar. So I thought to myself…why couldn’t I do that with some no bake cheese cake, use local blueberries to make a small batch compote (Nova Scotia’s town of Oxford, calls itself the blueberry capital of the world after all) and throw together travel ready jars of deliciousness?
And that’s just what I did! Four of these babies took very little time and were the perfect combination of crispy buttery crumbs, tangy and slightly sweetened cream cheese with a hint of lemon and a touch of sweet local fruit. You can of course use any fruit jam or compote you wish. Raspberry or strawberry would be especially nice. And this time of year, how about cooking up fresh rhubarb?
I love the small portion too, although when I was at the restaurant and the server brought me my dessert, I was slightly disappointed that it was so small…but that was just an ‘eyes bigger than stomach’ issue. It was perfect in all aspects.
While I get my gardening groove on and you wait for another Galley treat, here is today’s recipe and some more of our favourite desserts for you to try…
…peace and love…
Easy No Bake Blueberry Cheese Cake Parfaits
- Small saucepan Optional if not using microwave to melt butter
- Mixing bowl
- 4 1/2 cup mason jars Or small ramekins
- electric beater Optional but will make your work easier and give a smoother result
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Cup graham cracker crumbs butter cookie crumbs work well too
- 4 Oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp Blueberry jam or jam of choice (see Galley Kat Notes below)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- Melt butter and stir in graham crumbs.
- Divide 1/2 crumbs (a generous tablespoon) amongst mason jars, pushing down for form a firm base. You can reserve a bit of the crumb mixture (about 2 tsp) to sprinkle on top of the parfaits if you wish.
- Add cream cheese, sugar, salt and lemon zest and juice to mixing bowl. If using an electric beater, beat until soft and fluffy. You can come close to the same results with a mixing spoon but the beater will make it so much easier and a lot fluffier.
- Divide half the cream mixture amongst the four jars, spread evenly over the crumb base.
- Spread 1 tbsp of jam evenly over the cream mixture
- Repeat with a layer of crumb mixture, then cream mixture, then top with some jam and a sparse sprinkling of crumbs.
- If using mason jars, place lid on and refrigerate until ready to use. These will keep well for 3-4 days.