Hi there my Galley friends. Good to have you drop by today. I have for you a tasty little number, perfect for breakfast, brunch or easy supper. And you can make it a day ahead, all ready to pop in the oven.
It’s in the style of bread pudding with a base of bread, milk and eggs but definitely on the savoury side….with all the fixings of a smoked meat sandwich but in casserole form. And as with most of my simple Galley recipes, feel free to swap ingredients. Smoked meat with pastrami. Swiss with Gruyere. Milk with cream. Dijon with yellow mustard. Whatever suits your fancy.
Not much more than a half hour of cooking time…conventional or Omnia stove top cooking…and you are ready to dig into this delicious treat. Add a side salad if you wish or some steamed veggies for a complete meal.
I played it a bit more sodium-safe this time but why not try some crushed potato chips instead of panko for a little extra salty topping crunch…because you know how great a smoked meat sandwich goes with crispy chips.
For your perusing pleasure and until we meet again, here are two more members of my Reuben recipe family…
REUBEN SANDWICH (where you will find my recipe for Reuben Dressing)
…peace and love…
- Small mixing bowl
- Omnia stove top for the ovenless
- Small baking pan (for conventional oven users) 9”x9”
- 2 Slices rye bread broken into 1” pieces
- 4 Slices smoked meat about 1/3 lb
- 1/2 Cup sauerkraut well drained
- 1/3 Cup dill pickles chopped
- 4-6 Slices Swiss cheese or 1 1/2 cups equivalent shredded
- 2 Tsp caraway seeds divided
- 1/4 Cup Galley Kat Reuben dressing Russian or Thousand Island works well too
- 1 Large egg
- 1/3 Cup milk
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp ground pepper
- 1 Cup panko crumbs or crush potato chips for topping
- In prepared baking dish lay out breads crumbs evenly
- Top bread crumbs with slices of smoked meat
- Top smoked meat with sauerkraut and dill pickles then sprinkle half of the caraway seeds over all.
- Top sauerkraut with cheese
- In a small mixing bowl whisk dressing, egg, milk, Dijon mustard and sesonings together.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over all, pressing down gently with a spatual or spoon to distribute the liquid throughout.
- Sprinkle with the crumbs and remaing caraway seeds and let sit for about 30 minute to allow the liquid to join in with the rye bread
for Omnia stove top users
- Cover baking dish, place on pre-heated base plate and cook on high for five minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for 25-30 minutes.
for conventional oven users
- Place baking dish in pre-heated 350 ° oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.