Greetings to you my Galley friends. I was craving something other than a bowl of cereal for breakfast but didn’t want to heat up my land galley. Out came my trusty Omnia stove top oven. A bowl of traditional pancake batter came together easily and I had the remains of fresh blueberries my daughter and her two monkeys brought me from a berry picking adventure in the Annapolis Valley.
The original recipe is cooked in a rimmed baking sheet which cooks quickly in a 425 ° oven. Because the batter filled the Omnia pan to about 2/3 it took considerably longer than in the conventional baking sheet but on this very hot summer day, I really appreciated not overheating my land galley by using the oven.
Top with your usual pancake additions but to be honest I found syrup and butter, although very rich and tasty, a bit overkill. The results were perfectly moist and sweet on their own. Some crispy bacon or breakfast sausage would give a good balance of sweet and salty though.
Before you go, check out the rest of my Galley Kat pancake offerings…
….peace and love…
- Mixing bowls
- Omnia stove top oven For the ovenless
- Rimmed baking pan (jellyroll type) For conventional oven users
- 2.5 Cups flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 2 Cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tsp vanilla
- 6 Tbsp butter melted and cooled
- 1 Cup blueberries can sub raspberries, blackberries, sliced strawberries, or chocolate chips
- maple syrup
- extra fruit
- whipped cream
- bacon or sausage
- In mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs then stir in remaining wet ingredients
- Add dry ingredients to wet. Stir to combine. Try not to over mix.
- Pour batter into prepare (well greased) baking pan and sprinkle fruit evenly over the top.
for conventional oven users
- Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean. Will depend on your pan size.
for Omnia stove top users
- Cover baking pan and place on preheated base plate on high for 5 minutes
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for about 30 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean. I recommend checking after 25 minutes and every 5 minutes there after till done to your liking