HALIFAX DONAIR GRILLED CHEESE
Hello there my Galley friends. So very glad you dropped by. I was in the mood today for an easy supper, so created this little number for you to try. Very much a take on traditional grilled cheese but with Middle Eastern flavours, in the style of a Mexican quesadilla.
Load these as you wish. More cheese. More veggies. Double up the tasty donair meat and extra sauce.
I used split pitas to keep this more donair authentic and because I liked the bread-like texture but because these are so similar to quesadillas there’s no reason why you couldn’t sub in flour tortillas instead.
So very easy to throw together and super tasty. Perfect for a light lunch or supper. Add a fistful of crunchy chips and a tangy Greek salad, and don’t forget a little extra donair sauce for dipping.
Is there no end to what can be created with this wonderfully seasoned donair meat? Well, just look at what I’ve come up with so far…
…peace and love…
Halifax Donair Grilled Cheese
- 3 10” pitas
- 12 Slices provolone cheese Quantity is up to you. A couple slices on each pita half was perfect. Swiss or mozzarella are also good choices
- 12 Slices donair meat Quantity is up to you. My slices were shaved very thinly and about 3”x3” each.
- 3 Tbsp donair sauce plus more for serving.
- 1 roma tomato thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 2 Cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise for brushing on pita before grilling
- Split pita and lay each half side by side
- Top each of the 6 pita halves with cheese slices
- Layer thinly sliced donair meat on each of the 3 halves
- Drizzle donair sauce over the meat
- Sprinkle each of the 3 halves with tomato and onion then top with spinach leaves
- Flip ‘cheese only’ halves onto loaded halves and brush each with mayonnaise
- Heat skillet the place each sandwich, mayo side down and grill until browned. Brush the rest of the mayo onto the up side of each, then flip and grill until browned and cheese is melty.